Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Service and Learning

My experience with my student has gone quite well. Her name is Naigee` and she is such a hard worker and has dreams of being a doctor or make up artist. She was kind,welcoming from the word go and was ready work together with my partner Becky and I.

The most encouraging part for me was Naigee` in general. At the age 12, I didn't expect her to be so hard working and have an idea of where she wants to go for high school and college. This was truly amazing in my eyes.

The most challenging part was trying to schedule the first appointment with this student. It took Becky and I almost two weeks to get some sort of feedback when our fellow summer scholars had already been given a student to work with in less that a week. Man that was so frustrating.

From this Serving and Learning program, I learnt that life is not all about yourself. I learnt that even with the little knowledge that i have so far, I can easily help another person. This made me realize that I'm not going to school for nothing and that there is always a good cause for going to school.

I came to realize that my knowledge helped her when I made a PowerPoint on doctors for her. She really liked it and thought it was cool. I was glad I inspired her and led her in the right direction. This made me want to do more for her and help her with her future.

This kid is pretty cool and has made me appreciate myself and what I have. I thank Naigee` and the Boys and Girls Club(North) for giving me this great opportunity and finishing off my time here at UNO well.

No comments:

Post a Comment